Skidaway Institute of Oceanography | University of Georgia
University of Georgia
New South completed renovations to the 71-year-old cattle barn to transform it into a modern classroom and laboratory building for The University of Georgia’s Skidaway Institute of Oceanography. Originally built in 1948, the round structure was 110 ft in diameter with a ring of stalls around the perimeter and nursing and holding stalls in the inner circle. The original structure contained a second deck for hay storage and auction seating. To pay homage to the building’s original function, New South constructed a cattle gate system to block off and preserve an existing stairwell. Additionally, the team installed a structural glass floor system to help preserve an artful Modena Island compass at the center of the building.
The newly renovated space is designed to accommodate the university’s marine microbiology, bio-geochemistry, physical oceanography, and quantitative methods in marine science departments with a teaching laboratory and prep lab designed to support 20 students. The teaching lab features a large observation widow that allows visitors to watch research and instruction in progress. Additionally, the building houses several faculty offices, as well as ample collaborative space for students and faculty to work together.
Due to the historical nature of the barn, New South worked with the owner and design team to route new electrical and low voltage systems that would not detract from the original open, exposed ceilings.
Awards & Recognition